The Careers Leader at King's is Deputy Headteacher, Mr Darren Cooke. He can be reached via firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01273 840004.
We aim to give our students quality information, advice and guidance to help inform their choice of Sixth Form provider (in the current absence of our own Sixth Form, 16-18 qualifications, higher education and future career. We do this by:
- Ensuring that careers information runs through the curriculum, via our PSHE lessons and tutor resources. For example we run a PSHE unit on Key Stage 5 choices in Year 10 and on balancing life and work in Year 11.
- Ensuring that departments link learning in their subject areas to future careers through their teaching and through displays and other information provided in the learning environments.
- Running an annual 'Careers Day' for Year 9 on our December Enrichment Day. The day involves a chance to profile their interests and skills; try taster sessions in new GCSE subjects; and speak to people working in various different careers.
- Ensuring that every Year 9 student has a 1:1 interview with a senior member of staff to discuss and agree their GCSE options.
- Running a Year 11 Information Evening in September/October, to which Sixth Form providers in the city are invited to explain the sixth form provision they offer to students and their families.
- Ensuring every Year 11 student has a 1:1 interview with a senior member of staff to discuss their post-16 choices.
We review our provision through obtaining regular feedback from parents and students. In the academic year 2018-19 our focus is on looking to expand the number of encounters our students have with employers.